Make way for the Auto Rickshaw!

WOW! Let me just say that I have never experienced this kind of traffic in my entire life. Literally you need to make way for the auto rickshaws, buses, mini cars and vans, motorbikes, bicycles, oh... and did I mention the cows and goats too?? This was absolute insanity. We quickly learned that the fastest and easiest way to get around the city was in the auto rickshaw. A rickshaw is a three wheeler which fits two or three people (seeing five or six people piled in one rickshaw was not out of the ordinary) and is also a cheap way of traveling around the city.



Our first real night in Bangalore we spent shopping and touring around Mahatma Road, commonly known as MG Road. There were many stores from the United States and Europe mixed with street vendors and markets. The road was lit up with hanging lights, which did look very pretty at night (reminding me of a festival). This seemed like a very young and westernized part of the city.

I still could not believe the traffic, I think the entire ride there and back my jaw was dropped in shock. Just to watch our driver back out of the parking space blew my mind. It was so interesting to witness a stray dog, a Mercedes Benz, a cow, a beggar, a land rover SUV, and McDonald's all in the same scene. And then to see entire families balancing on a 2-wheel motorbike was unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment