Yoga & Meditation

During our stay at the Ashram we were able to have a yoga and meditation session with Marc-Joseph from Montreal. I met him during lunch one day and he took me on a tour around the ashram and showed me the yoga center and a beautiful giant carving of the Buddha. I did not realize how large the ashram actually was! I soon found out that Marc-Joseph had been practicing yoga and meditation for the past seven years; he is such a calm and interesting individual. He is a certified yoga instructor and offered to give a session to our group.        
The following evening we all met at the yoga center; he was ready with incense and calming music. I was so happy that the entire group decided to join! The practice of yoga is much more that a system of physical exercise for health. Yoga is an ancient path to spiritual growth and is originated in India. Being at the Ashram in the center of the forest with the natural sound of the insects and birds was the most relaxing feeling I have ever felt; and then just to realize that I was in India was amazing. The breathing exercises that we practiced were called pranayama, and I particularly remember practicing Ujjai, which is called the “sounding” breath or “darth vader” breath.
Quick fact: Someone who practices yoga or follows the yoga philosophy is called a “yogi” and the entire trip many people would stare at Sarah and call her that because of her hairstyle.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment